Welcome to the K2 Library blog!

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Chapter 1: New World, New Web, New Skills

Yes, it is a different, global world that our children are growing up in. Jobs are and will be different as technology enables interconnectivity 24/7 throughout the world. And, yes, as educators we need to guide our students in using the tools so they will stay engaged in life-long learning.

One aspect of the new Web 2.0 era I am concerned about is the storage and access to newly created items. Yes, it is convenient and wonderful that anyone and everyone can access, share and collaborate on documents and other online work, but REALLY if it comes down to it, if the information is stored on servers "somewhere out there in cyber space" doesn't that concern anyone else besides me? Maybe I am just being old-fashioned and the ability for many to contribute and create overrides these ownership fears. I do not really like the idea that everything I purchase at a Fred Meyer store goes into a database somewhere and keeps track of what I purchase and how often. In return for having an account, or in this case, a "Rewards Card" I get coupons that pay me back a small percent of what I have spent to use at the store. In reality, the business is only wanting to use my information for marketing purposes. Sometimes I wonder if we are headed into a world of "Big Brother" times just like so many futuristic fiction portrays or have I just read too many of them?

The aspect of many of the Web 2.0 tools I like the best is that they are free. We need free things for education in this country because for some reason the lack of funds is always an issue.

The changes that need to happen to better educate our students and get them ready for 21st Century jobs is slowly taking place. As the new college graduates come to our schools they are very comfortable with Web 2.0 tools and expect students to use these tools in their learning. Many of the long time teachers are people who are life long learners themselves and are learning about and using the new technologies, too. Yes, I agree with what is written in this chapter and have confidence in our teachers to meet the challenges of teaching 21st Century students.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the tracking that goes on is creepy from our generation's perspective....I often joke that google knows more about me than my mother, except that it isn't a joke at all......

    I agree that we need to educate kids for the realities of their future, not our past....

    Check out: http://www.teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=85814&title=No_Future_Left_Behind

    Kids talking about what they need for their future...

    Ann

    ReplyDelete