Welcome to the K2 Library blog!

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Week Nine: Thing #22

I have heard of sites where you can download audio books for free and it was informational to explore this site---Project Gutenberg. I found many titles available to be read from the screen of the computer, and others that were recorded books. The information about each title explains if the book is read by a person or in some cases, read by a computer. I found the books read by a computer a little bit harder to follow. I suppose if I were to listen to the computer read book for a longer period of time I might understand it better, but there seems to be a great deal missing in comparison to books read aloud by a person. I have added this link to my library home page for patrons.

World Public Library charges $8.95 per year to be a member to their collection, which is a small amount for access to so many books. For one month (July 4-August 4) this site will allow some of their books to be downloaded for free.

One other site I explored is "Mobile Books". At this site you can pay for a subscription to download books onto your iPhone. Very cool for those who commute or would like to use their iPhones to read from. The site has instructions for using your iPhone menu options to manipulate the book on the screen. You can even bookmark your place at the touch of a button.

1 comment:

  1. Can you imagine Tolstoy read by a computer? I mean, is that the hell bad teachers go to? Worse yet, it should be bad science fiction, so it can come full circle. I see the benefit of having audio for those that need/want it, I just hope that we can have enough human volunteers to cover the spread (and it's a large spread). Then again, I haven't volunteered yet . . .

    ReplyDelete